How did you do it?

So, one question I get pretty often is how did you do it? How in the world did you find the time to get a Ph.D. while birthing 4 babies??  Well, let me give you some background.

I started my graduate school journey in 2007 at Georgia Southern University.  I had our first son A about a year into the program, and we had R in September of 2009 after I graduated with a Masters in Education in August of the same year.

Two kids and one degree down, two kids and one degree to go.

I took a few months off to hang with R and A and try to survive the one-kid-to-two-kids transition (a topic for another day, cause really, so hard!), and then started my Ph.D. in January of 2010.  I was driving an hour and a half, 3-4 days a week, leaving my precious babies with a dear friend. When I came home we had dinner, did baths, and got kids in bed.

At about 8:00 pm every night the homework/class prep/reading and writing began.  This would go into the wee hours of the morning, and start all over with me waking my kids early the next morning.

As a side note, I think it is very evil to wake sweet sleeping children.  Not something I enjoyed in the least.

So, sprinkle in two more kids, a schedule that included being away 2 days a week, teaching 3 undergraduate courses, 90 credit hours earned, 4 comprehensive exams (taken while pregnantnot recommended), a move, a dissertation, et voila!  Here I am, degree in hand (or rolled up in the cardboard tube thingy sitting on a closet shelf) and keeping a toe, albeit a pinky toe, in academia whilst maintaining a home with four kids, five and under.

In a nutshell, I did it by the grace of God, an amazingly supportive, never complaining husband, and 4 babies who likely wont remember much of the things we went through to get these degrees.

I lost a LOT of sleep, maximized every single second of my day, earned some more grey hair and dark circles, and have two things I am pretty proud of to show for it: my family, and my education.